Skip to main content

Registration and graduation

Registration and graduation

Priority Registration

Priority is based on credits earned plus in progress. If you are a continuing student at OSU, you do not need a new PIN to register for winter term. If you are new to OSU winter term and a chemistry major, contact your Chemistry Advisor to meet and get a new PIN each term Dates can be found on the Academic Calendar

  • During Phase One - you can register for max of 16 credits
  • During Phase Two - you can register for up to 19 credits

"Registering on your scheduled day & time makes everyone a happy camper!"

For your exact day and time for registration, check your Registration Status by logging into your . Registration status will be available approximately one week before registration begins.

Chemistry Majors taking General Chemistry

Enroll in CH 27X chem lab for majors and one of the lecture sections of CH 23X.

If you are repeating general chemistry and you have completed one part of the course, contact the main chemistry office and request an override to repeat .

Students needing one WIC chemistry course this year to graduate in June

You are strongly encouraged to enroll in CH 462 & 462H winter. Don't wait for CH 463 spring term which is likely to be over-enrolled - with graduating seniors! The labs have limited spaces and a space spring term is not guaranteed.


Many courses at OSU offer an automatic waitlist option if a course is closed. The OSU waitlist system only updates once every 24 hrs. You will receive an email prompting you to register if it is your turn and you have 24 hrs to register.

Special notes


CH 462/462H is a WIC course meeting winter term. If you plan to graduate this year and still need to take Experimental Chemistry II plus fulfill the WIC Bacc Core requirement - this is the course for you! - analytical, materials chemistry, and physical chem techniques are covered this term.

Option Requirements and Opportunities for Chemistry Options

Track 1 Advanced Biochemistry option: You should plan to take BB 494 (3cr) and BB 345 (2 cr) Winter term.

Forensic Science option and Environmental Chemistry options: TOX 490 is usually offered winter term-this is a popular course that also satisfies one of the FS electives. A Minor in TOX is a good fit for many chemistry majors working on the For Sci chem option. Check out the EMT web page for more information on the TOX minor. They also offered the Accelerated MS platform in TOX.

PreMed option: the PreMed orientation course, BI 109, meets spring term. If you are PreDent - consider taking the PreDent orientation course winter term, BI 107;

Chemistry Educ option: For teaching practicum hours requirement, you should plan to take ED 409. A useful course for HS teacher preparations is also the Chemical Information Seminar, CH 607 (1 cr P/N), that meets winter term on Mondays at noon. Contact the main chemistry office for an override to this graduate course.


PINs are the same for an entire academic year for continuing students. First year students will get a new PIN each term the first year. See your Chemistry Advisor for this.

Graduating seniors

It is up to you to verify with your advisor if you have any questions. Check MyDegrees to see your official graduation audit. Once you have completed all the requirements for your degree, you will be automatically moved to Institutional Awarding and you will be notified by OSU Registrar's office that you are graduating. Keep in contact with your Chemistry Advisor if you have questions on this process. You can select to walk at spring gradation.

Declared electives

For some options, the student must have elective courses approved. For the advanced chemistry and advanced biochemistry options of the B.S degree or the B.A. degree, students are required to have their career-supportive electives approved by their adviser Fall quarter of the junior year. For the business option, you must specify which business courses will be used for upper division electives. For the chemical education option, the secondary endorsement area should be based on a primary endorsement other than chemistry.

Research and internships

Check out the faculty research pages and contact faculty directly to set up an appt to discuss research opportunities in their labs. To register for undergraduate research (CH 401) & internships (CH 410), students must fill the blanket number form available at this link or in the chemistry office. See directions for registering for these courses.


Please arrange to get your picture taken for the graduate's picture board that is displayed in the hallway of Gilbert Hall. Photo appointments can be made by emailing and take less than five minutes.

Exit Poll

We encourage all graduating seniors to fill out and submit the exit poll. This information is used for planning purposes and also to support applications for teaching grants. And we would like to know how we are doing!

See advising resources for more information including registration schedules, B.S. and B.A. curricula in four forms (requirements by area, checklists, timetables by term, and by year), a list of prerequisites and terms that courses are taught, and a link to course equivalents from other institutions.