Our overarching goal is to solve the crystallization problem in crystallography. In so doing, we not only develop experimental technologies but also explore frontiers of physical chemistry. More specifically, we want to build a molecular goniometer by taking advantage of the ultracold temperature of superfluid helium droplets (~0.4 K) and by relying on the anisotropic polarizabilities of most macromolecules. The molecular goniometer should enable accumulation of diffraction images from millions of molecules all oriented in the same direction, and should also enable recording of images from different orientations. Multiple projections of the same diffractive object are sufficient for structure determination.
PDF, Department of Chemistry, Cornell University (1995)
Ph.D., from University of Waterloo, Canada (1993)
B.Sc., from Beijing University (1987)
Research areasPhysical Chemistry
- Maha Alghamdi, Jie Zhang, Andrew Oswalt, Joseph J. Porter, Ryan A. Mehl, and Wei Kong, J. Phys. Chem. A 121, 6671 (2017). “Doping of green fluorescent protein into superfluid helium droplets: size and velocity of doped droplets.” PMCID: PMC5713884, PubMed # 28825305, NIHMSID: 921270.
- Yunteng He, Jie Zhang, Lei Lei, and Wei Kong, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 56, 3541 (2017). “Self-assembly of iodine in superfluid helium droplets: halogen bonds and nanocrystals.” PMCID: PMC5507561
- Colin Harthcock, Jie Zhang, Wei Kong, Masaaki Mitsui, and Yasuhiro Ohshima, J. Chem. Phys. 146, 134311 (2017). “Electronic spectra and excited-state dynamics of acridine and its hydrated clusters.”
- Yunteng He, Jie Zhang, and Wei Kong, J. Chem. Phys. 145, 034307 (2016). “Electron diffraction of CBr4 in superfluid helium droplets: a step towards single molecule diffraction.” PMCID: PMC4958107
- Jie Zhang, Yunteng He, and Wei Kong, J. Chem Phys. 144, 221101 (COVER ARTICLE, 2016). “Electron diffraction of ferrocene in superfluid helium droplets.” PMCID: PMC4902817
- Yunteng He, Jie Zhang, William M. Freund, and Wei Kong, J. Chem. Phys. 144, 084302 (2016). “Electron impact ionization and multiphoton ionization of doped superfluid helium droplets: A comparison.” PMCID: PMC4769255.
- Jie Zhang, Lei Chen, William M. Freund, and Wei Kong, J. Chem. Phys. 143, 074201 (2015). “Effective doping of low energy ions into superfluid helium droplets.” PMCID: PMC4545055.
- Lei Chen, Jie Zhang, William M. Freund, and Wei Kong, J. Chem. Phys. 143, 044310 (2015). “Effect of kinetic energy on the doping efficiency of cesium cations into superfluid helium droplets.” PMCID: PMC4522010.
- Yunteng He, Jie Zhang, William M. Freund, and Wei Kong, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 86, 084102 (2015). “Facile time-of-flight methods for characterizing pulsed superfluid helium droplet beams.” PMCID: PMC4537483.
- Colin Harthcock, Jie Zhang, and Wei Kong, J. Phys. Chem. A 119, 11997 (2015). “Zero kinetic energy photoelectron spectroscopy of benzo[h]quinoline.”
- Thomas T. Sugihara Young Faculty research Award (2001)
- Alfred P. Sloan Fellowship (2000)
- NSERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (1994)
- NSERC Doctoral Thesis Prize (1993)