Emphasis on the synthesis of new oxides with novel properties. Structure determination using primarily neutron diffraction. The materials' properties include superconductors, transparent conductors, proton conductors, catalysts, and oxides with metal-insulator transitions.
Postdoctoral Fellow (1963-1964) University of Stockholm
Ph.D. (1963) University of Connecticut
B.A. (1960) Hamilton College
Research areasMaterials Chemistry
- Thermal Contraction, A.W. Sleight, Nature 389: 923-924 (1997).
- Sooty Superconductors, A.W. Sleight, Nature: 350:557-558 (1991).
- Negative Thermal Expansion from 0.3 K to 1050 K in ZrW2O8, T.A. Mary, J.S.O. Evans, A.W. Sleight, and T. Vogt, Science 272:90-92 (1996).
- Chemistry of High-Tc Superconductors, A.W. Sleight, Science 242:1519-1527 (1988).
- Heterogeneous Catalysts, A.W. Sleight, Science, 208:895-900 (1980).
- Welch Foundation Lecturer (1988 and 1998)
- American Chemical Society Award for Chemistry of Materials (1997)