Q: After I've been accepted, when and how should I start looking for a place to live?

A: Please see email sent by Graduate Coordinator in July of your incoming year

Q: After I've been accepted, when and how do I sign up for my first classes?

A: If you are an incoming first year graduate student in the Graduate Program in Chemistry, you will sign up for classes during Orientation Week.  Click here for more information about Orientation Week.

Q: What is the typical course load?

A: Most students finish the majority of their coursework during their 1st year.

Q: What grades must I maintain in order to stay on track to receive my graduate degree?

A: The Department of Chemistry requires that enrolled graduate students maintain at least a 3.0 and get no lower than a B- in any course.

Q: How long does it take to earn a PhD in the Graduate Program in Chemistry?

A: A PhD usually takes from 4-6 years to earn.  In some cases, a PhD may be earned in less or more time.

Q: When do graduate student usually take their Preliminary Oral Exam?

A: Most students take them in the third year of their graduate study but some divisions may hold them earlier

Q: Can an MS degree be earned in the course of earning a PhD in the Department of Chemistry at Oregon State University?

A: Yes.  An MS degree can be defended simultaneous to the graduate student taking his or her preliminary oral exam.

Q: How many credits are the graduate students required to take each term?

A: The department recommends that students take 16 credits per term during the school year, and 9 credits during Summer Term.

Q: I need a specific form.  Where can I find it?

A: Most needed forms can be found in the "Forms" section of the Graduate School's website, which can be found at http://gradschool.oregonstate.edu/forms.

Q: Where do I send off professional correspondence and packages?

A: Professional correspondence can be sent from the Chemistry Office in Gilbert 153.

Q: Are there additional awards and fellowships that graduate students are eligible for during their time at OSU?

A: There are numerous awards and fellowships available through the chemistry department to graduate students including the

  • N.L. Tartar Summer Fellowships
  • Shirley Kuse Award for Outstanding Female Graduate Students
  • David Shoemaker Award for Outstanding Senior Graduate Students
  • Ingram Award for Outstanding 1st Year Graduate Student
  • Benedict Award for Outstanding 2nd Year Graduate Student.

In addition, a large number of awards are available at the university level from a variety of sources. Visit the OSU Graduate School website - Financing Your Education | Graduate School | Oregon State University for more details.

Q: Who should I talk to if I'm having trouble coping with stress?

A: You're always welcome to come to the office and talk to Tara Stacy, the Department of Chemistry's Graduate Coordinator.  If you have a serious issue that may require you to seek professional help, please contact Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at OSU.  You can find more information at http://counseling.oregonstate.edu.edu.  Another place to go if you are experiencing stress or conflict is the Ombuds Office at OSU.  The Ombuds are professionals who work with people to solve problems and mitigrate conflicts.  Learn more about this service at http://ombuds.oregonstate.edu/.