The requirements for a minor in chemistry include a minimum of 27 credits of chemistry (CH) courses. These credits must include a complete General Chemistry sequence (CH 201, CH 202, CH 123 or CH 233/263) (CH 121, CH 122, CH 123). In addition, a minimum of 4 upper-division courses of 3 or more credits in at least two areas of chemistry (organic, physical, analytical, inorganic, or nuclear) and one laboratory course are required. CH 401/501/601, CH 403/503/603, CH 407/507/607, CH 410/510, CH584, CH 695, and CH 696 cannot be used to fulfill the upper-division credits; CH 130, 140 and CH 374 are terminal courses and do not count toward the minor.

For a postbac student (previous 4-year undergraduate degree), there is an additonal requirement that a minimum of 15 credits of chemistry must be taken at OSU for the chemistry minor.

Explanation of the Policy

All courses from OSU or elsewhere must be taken for a grade (not S/U) and the overall GPA for all OSU and transferred chemistry courses must be 2.0 or higher. If the general chemistry sequence is transferred from another university or college, it must be a full-year sequence with appropriate laboratory experience. Students taking CH 201 and CH 202, who wish to pursue a chemistry minor, must take the lab course CH 205 and either CH 123 or CH 223 for the third term. However, the combination of CH 201, 202, 205, and CH 123 or 233/263 provides only 12 credits and a minimum of 15 additional credits of upper division chemistry courses must be taken. When offered, the recitations (CH 211 and CH 212) can be taken to add to the total chemistry credits. If an acceptable general chemisty sequence is transferred from another school yielding less than 15 cr, more than 12 upper division chemistry credits are needed to reach 27 total chemistry credits. If a student takes a CH course over and receives an F, the course will not be used to fulfill the requirement for 27 credits or requirements such as 4 UD CH courses even though the student passed the course the first time.

To fulfill the upper division requirement, any OSU upper-division CH course can be used (except for the courses excluded above).  Normally CH 331, 332, 337 (lab), 324 (lab), or 390 are used. Some students take CH 440 or CH 411 for an upper division course. Be aware that most of the upper-division chemistry courses are designed for chemistry majors who take a specific sequence of chemistry, physics, and math courses and have many prerequisites.

How to Apply for a Chemistry Minor

Adding a Chemistry minor does not require the approval or a signature from the Chemistry department.  Please see your regular academic advisor and they can add the chemistry minor to your program on-line.  OSU no longer uses the paper forms. If you have any questions on the chemistry minor, please contact the Lead Chemistry Advisor, Dr. Christine Pastorek at and include: (1) your name and (2) your OSU ID (if you have one) and your email. 


Common Courses used to fulfill the Chemistry Minor Requirements:
Four common grouping of courses for majors in biological, health or food sciences are

CH 231/261, CH 232/262, CH 233/263, CH 331, CH 332, CH 337, and CH 324  
CH 121, CH 122, CH 123, CH 331, CH 332, CH 337, and CH 324
CH 231/261, CH 232/262, CH 233/263, CH 331, CH 332, CH 337, and CH 390 
CH 121, CH 122, CH 123, CH 331, CH 332, CH 337, and CH 390.

These groupings provide for the minimum of 27 credits (29 - 30 credits in these examples) and four upper division courses of 3 or more credits in two areas with at least one advanced lab (CH 337 or CH 324). Hence, any of the above sequences fulfills the requirements for a chemistry minor. Click other courses for other combinations of courses that fulfill the minor and suggested courses for additional upper division courses that can be used for the chemistry minor. 

Biochemistry & Biophysics and Chemical Engineering majors

Students in the above two areas are required by their departments to take many chemistry courses. The B.S. curriculum in biochemistry & biophysics as written includes sufficient courses to fulfill all requirements necessary to obtain a chemistry minor. Chemical engineering students need one more upper division lab course in chemistry (e.g., CH 324 or CH 337) to fulfill the requirements for a chemistry minor.