B.A., University of Pennsylvania, PA (1983);
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (1988)
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, (1988-90);
NSF - Presidential Young Investigator (1991-6);
Fulbright Scholar (2002, 2015)
- 411/511 - Advanced Inorganic Chemistry I
- 412/512 - Advanced Inorganic Chemistry II
- 462/462H - Advanced Integrated Chemistry Lab
- CH232H - General Chemistry, Honors sections
- HC399 - Energy and Transportation, Honors Colloquium
- CH582e - Distance Science Labs (ECampus)
Our group studies the synthesis and novel properties of intercalation compounds and nanocomposites. Some important applications of these materials lie in batteries, fuel cells, and new structural materials. A major component of our work has been the study of graphite compounds, which involves modification of the layered form of carbon, which is a challenging chemical problem but an important technological material. We've developed new synthetic strategies and new graphite compounds, and are exploring their electrochemical properties in detail. Our work with nanocomposites involves the combination of polymers with layered inorganic hosts at a nanometer scale. This can lead to novel structures and properties when compared with more conventional micron-scaled composites materials. We have ongoing collaborations with industry to help understand chemical issues in new applying new materials and reactions to real products.
· A New and Facile Route Using Electride Solutions To Intercalate Alkaline Earth Ions into Graphite. Xu, W.; Lerner, M. Chem. Mater., 2018, 30, 6930-6935.
· Pillared graphite anodes for reversible sodiation. Zhang, H.; Li, Z.; Xu, W.; Chen, Y.; Ji, X.; Lerner, M.,Nanotech. 2018, 29, 325402.
· Preparation of Graphite Intercalation Compounds Containing Crown Ethers. Zhang, Hanyang; Lerner, M.M. Inorganic Chem. 2016, 55, 8281–8284.
· Preparation of Graphite Intercalation Compounds Containing Oligo and Polyethers. Zhang, H.; Lerner, M. M. Nanoscale 2016, 8, 4608-4612.
· Preparation, Characterization, and Structure Trends for Graphite Intercalation Compounds Containing Pyrrolidinium Cations. Zhang, H.; Wu, Y., Sirisaksoontorn, W.; Remcho, V.; Lerner, M. Chem. Mater. 2016, 28, 969-974.
· A Hydrocarbon Cathode for Dual-Ion Batteries. Rodríguez-Pérez, I.; Jian, Z.; Waldenmaier, P.; Palmisano, J.; Chandrabose, R.; Wang, X. Lerner, M.; Carter, R.; Ji, X. ACS Energy Lett. 2016, 1, 719–723.