B.A., University of Pennsylvania, PA (1983);
Ph.D., University of California, Berkeley (1988)
NSF Postdoctoral Fellow, (1988-90);
NSF - Presidential Young Investigator (1991-6);
Fulbright Scholar (2002, 2015)
- 411/511 - Advanced Inorganic Chemistry I
- 412/512 - Advanced Inorganic Chemistry II
- 462/462H - Advanced Integrated Chemistry Lab
- CH232H - General Chemistry, Honors sections
- HC399 - Energy and Transportation, Honors Colloquium
- CH582e - Distance Science Labs (ECampus)
Our group studies the synthesis and novel properties of intercalation compounds and nanocomposites. Some important applications of these materials lie in batteries, fuel cells, and new structural materials. A major component of our work has been the study of graphite compounds, which involves modification of the layered form of carbon, which is a challenging chemical problem but an important technological material. We've developed new synthetic strategies and new graphite compounds, and are exploring their electrochemical properties in detail. Our work with nanocomposites involves the combination of polymers with layered inorganic hosts at a nanometer scale. This can lead to novel structures and properties when compared with more conventional micron-scaled composites materials. We have ongoing collaborations with industry to help understand chemical issues in new applying new materials and reactions to real products.
• Preparation of Graphite Intercalation Compounds Containing Oligo and Polyethers. Zhang, H.; Lerner, M. Nanoscale (2016), DOI:10.1039/C5NR08226A
• Preparation, Characterization, and Structure Trends for Graphite Intercalation Compounds Containing Pyrrolidinium Cations. Zhang, H.; Wu, Y.; Sirisaksoontorn, W.; Remcho, V.; Lerner, M., Chem. Mater. (2016), 28(3), 969-974.
• Arrangement and Dynamics of Diamine, Etheric, and Tetraalkylammonium Intercalates within Graphene or Graphite Oxide Galleries by 2H NMR. Gotoh, K.; Sugimoto, C.; Morita, R.; Miyatou, T.; Mizuno, M.; Sirisaksoontorn, W.; Lerner, M.; Ishida, H., J. Phys. Chem. C (2015), 119, 11763-11770
• Use of amine electride chemistry to prepare molybdenum disulfide intercalation compounds. Liyanage, Amila U.; Lerner, Michael M, RSC Advances (2014), 4, 47121-47128.
• The effect of surface passivation on the preparation and stability of the graphite intercalation compounds containing tetra-n-alkylammonium cations. Sirisaksoontorn, Weekit; Lerner, Michael M. Carbon (2014), 69, 582-587.
• The electrochemical synthesis of the graphite intercalation compounds containing tetra-n-alkylammonium cations. Sirisaksoontorn, Weekit; Lerner, Michael M. From ECS Journal of Solid State Science and Technology (2013), 2(9), M28-M32.
• Preparation and characterization of nanocomposites of polyamidoamine (PAMAM) dendrimers with molybdenum(VI) oxide (MoO3) Ikhuoria, Esther U.; Liyanage, Amila U.; Lerner, Michael M. Materials Chemistry and Physics (2013), 139(2-3), 911-916.
• The Preparation of a Homologous Series of Tetraalkylammonium Graphite Intercalation Compounds. Sirisaksoontorn, Weekit; Lerner, Michael, Inorganic Chemistry (2013), 52(12), 7139-7144.
• Synthesis and characterization of low-generation polyamidoamine (PAMAM) dendrimer – sodium montmorillonite (Na-MMT) clay nanocomposites. Lerner, Michael M.; Liyanage, Amila; Ikhuoria, E; Remcho, Vince; Liyanage, Amila U.; Ikhuoria, Esther U.; Adenuga, Adeniyi A.; Remcho, Vincent T.; Lerner, Michael M. Inorganic Chemistry (2013), 52(8), 4603-4610.
• Template preparation of NiPS3 polymer nanocomposites. Liyanage, Amila Udayanga; Lerner, Michael M. RSC Advances (2012), 2(2), 474-479.
• A comparative structural study of ternary graphite intercalation compounds containing alkali metals and linear or branched amines. Maluangnont, Tosapol; Sirisaksoontorn, Weekit; Lerner, Michael M. Carbon (2012), 50(2), 597-602.
• Synthesis of Ternary and Quaternary Graphite Intercalation Compounds Containing Alkali Metal Cations and Diamines. Maluangnont, Tosapol; Lerner, Michael M.; Gotoh, Kazuma Inorganic Chemistry (2011), 50(22), 11676-11682.
• Preparation and Characterization of a Tetrabutylammonium Graphite Intercalation Compound. Sirisaksoontorn, Weekit; Adenuga, Adeniyi A.; Remcho, Vincent T.; Lerner, Michael M. Journal of the American Chemical Society (2011), 133(32), 12436-12438.
• Analysis of bis(trifluoromethylsulfonyl)imide-doped paramagnetic graphite intercalation compound using 19F very fast magic angle spinning nuclear magnetic resonance. Gotoh, Kazuma; Takeda, Kazuyuki; Lerner, Michael M.; Sueishi, Yoshimi; Maruyama, Shinpei; Goto, Atsushi; Tansho, Masataka; Ohki, Shinobu; Hashi, Kenjiro; Shimizu, Tadashi; et al Carbon (2011), 49(12), 4064-4066.
• Cation-directed orientation of amines in ternary graphite intercalation compounds Maluangnont, Tosapol; Gotoh, Kazuma; Fujiwara, Kazuya; Lerner, Michael M. Carbon (2011), 49(3), 1040-1042.
• Preparation of a Homologous Series of Graphite Alkylamine Intercalation Compounds Including an Unusual Parallel Bilayer Intercalate Arrangement Maluangnont, Tosapol; Bui, Giao-T.; Huntington, Benjamin A.; Lerner, Michael M. Chemistry of Materials (2011), 23(5), 1091-1095.
• A simple and scalable route to wafer-size patterned graphene. Liu, Li-Hong; Zorn, Gilad; Castner, David G.; Solanki, Raj; Lerner, Michael M.; Yan, Mingdi. Journal of Materials Chemistry (2010), 20(24), 5041-5046.
• Derivatization of Pristine Graphene with Well-Defined Chemical Functionalities. Liu, Li-Hong; Lerner, Michael M.; Yan, Mingdi. Nano Letters (2010), 10(9), 3754-3756.