Use of a Departmental Procurement Card or OSU’s Auto Pay Vendors (see FIS 801-04 Auto Pays) are the preferred methods for OSU business related purchases.
Under the following circumstances, personal funds may be reimbursedby OSU for approved purchases:
- Logistical reasons or extenuating circumstances occur that precludes the use of normal OSU purchasing processes or protocols and
- The unit does not have a petty cash fund and
- The employee has received managerial approval for the purchase and
- The purchase is (typically) less than $100
*IMPORTANT: The practice of personally paying for services and equipment directly by employees is strongly discouraged.
Prohibited purchasing practices include:
- Circumventing regular OSU purchasing channels for convenience
- Circumventing regular OSU purchasing channels for lack of proper planning
- Using a personal credit card to make purchases with the intent of earning rewards program points and/or benefits on funds to refunded by OSU
Purchases that have been made with personal funds will be reimbursed by OSU when the following criteria have been met:
- Documentation showing purchase and payment by the employee
- Statement of University business purpose, including intended use and physical location of the goods (where the goods will be used - campus office, in the field, etc)
- Signature of the employee claiming request, and
- Signature of authorized Budget Authority other than requestor also confirming #2.
Note: When using the Reimbursement Request Form it is preferable to hold individual small receipts and submit as a larger amount as long as the submission is within 60 days of the earliest expense receipt.
- Form has been completed and submitted within 60 days incurring the cost for within 60 days after the conclusion of the travel/field during which the expenditure was made, and
- Form has been completed and submitted in the appropriate fiscal year for the expense so that the costs will be recorded appropriately for financial statement purposes. The fiscal year ends June 30th.
- Form is sent to the appropriate Business Center for final review and processing
- This step is completed after the form is submitting and requires no action from the employee submitting the form.