Forensic Science Links @ OSU
Additional Information about Forensic Science Option at OSU
Sample curriculum for B.S chemistry degree with forensic science option
General Forensic Science Links
- Comprehensive list including undergrad and grad schools: http://www.forensicdna.com/
- List of undergraduate FC Ed programs: https://chemistry.oregonstate.edu/content/forensic-science-programs
- Listing of all levels of Criminal Justice Programs and great information on Forensic Science degrees and careers. http://www.criminaljusticeprograms.com
- American Academy of Forensic Sciences home page: https://www.aafs.org/
- Society of Forensic Toxicologists: http://www.soft-tox.org/
- FBI summer internships: https://www.fbijobs.gov/students/undergrad
- International Crime Scene Investigators Association's information at http://www.icsia.org/
- Forensic Science Technician - A Guide to Forensic Science Degree Programs
Possible Internship Locations for Extra Experience
State Forensics Lab - Springfield - drug and chemical analysis.
State Forensics Lab - Salem - ballistics
State Forensics Lab - Portland - the largest state crime lab.
"Cops and Robbers 101" (Corvallis Police Academy). 10-week workshop, 3 hrs/week, Wed 6:30-9:30 pm. Taught Fall and Spring. Overview of what Corvallis police do. Includes learning to: drive a police car, firearm safety and use, fingerprinting, etc.
Where can you use a B.S. in Chemistry with a Forensic Science option?
Forensic Scientist - an expert in using scientific investigations to establish facts in many aspects of criminal, civil and regulatory cases; works with lawyers.
Criminalistics - analysis, comparison, identification & interpretation of physical evidence obtained through use of technology to reconstruct events of crime; uses analytical skill, experience in investigations and trials (expert witnesses).
Document Examiner - authorship, authenticity, alterations, and physical features of documents. In addition to BS, requires 2-yr apprenticeship with court examiner.
Forensic Toxicology - interpretation of analytical, clinical and environmental data for law & medicine; expert witness;
Forensic Pathology - a medical specialty focused on determining the cause of death of a victim
Also Wildlife Forensics; Computer Forensics; Nursing; Crime Scene Investigation.