Education: Associate of Arts, Clark College, Washington (1961); B.S. Physics, Washington State University (1963); M.S. Physics, Pennsylvania State University (1965); Ph.D. Physics, Pennsylvania State University (1967); Postdoctoral Associate, Department of Physics, Pennsylvania State University (1967-68); Postdoctoral Associate, Institute for Physical Chemistry, University of Bonn, West Germany, (1968-69).
Awards: Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung Fellowship, University of Bonn, West Germany (1968); Phi Theta Kappa Academic Honorary (1969); Alexander von Humboldt-Stiftung Senior Researcher Fellowship, University of Bonn, West Germany (1982)
Mass Spectrometry Facility Website:
Affiliations: International Organizing Committee, Desorption Conferences, 1994-present.
General interests encompass the investigation and development of ionization processes, methodologies, and instrumentation employed in mass spectrometry and the application of mass spectrometry to the elucidation of structural features that govern the functions of biological molecules and to the analysis of organic molecules found in environmental matrices. Individual studies entail development of tandem time-of-flight mass spectrometry (TOF MS/MS); development of electron capture ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry (ECI TOF MS); investigation of electron capture dissociation of peptides and proteins; proteomics based on protein-function; investigation of protein/nucleic acid interaction; and environmental analysis of fluorinated alkyl substances.
- Semivolatile Fluorinated Organic Compounds in Asian and Western U.S. Air Masses, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2007, 41 (24), 8248-8255.
- Charge-Remote Metastable Ion Decomposition of Free Fatty Acids under FAB MS: Evidence for Biradical Ion Structures, Anal. Chem., 2007, 79 (7), 2822-2826.
- Distinguishing between Cis/Trans Isomers of Monounsaturated Fatty Acids by FAB MS, Anal. Chem., 2007, 79 (4), 1519-1522.
- Fluorochemical Mass Flows in a Municipal Wastewater Treatment Facility, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2006, 40 (23), 7350-7357.
- Resonant Electron Capture by Some Amino Acids and Their Methyl Esters, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2006 128 (16), 5506-5515.
- Quantitative Determination of Fluorinated Alkyl Substances by Large-Volume-Injection Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry-Characterization of Municipal Wastewaters, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2006, 40 (1), 289-295.
- Theoretical Calculation of Thermodynamic Properties of Polybrominated Diphenyl Ethers, J. Chem. Eng. Data, 2005, 50 (5), 1548-1556.
- Proteomic Analysis of Novel Marine Bacteria Using MALDI and ESI Mass Spectrometry, J. Biomol. Tech., 2004 15, 191-198.
- Mass Spectrometry of UV-Cross-Linked Protein-Nucleic Acid Complexes: Identification of Amino Acid Residues in the Single-Stranded DNA-Binding Domain of Human Replication Protein A, Anal. Chem., 2004, 76 (19), 5667-5676.
- Complementary Use of MALDI and ESI for HPLC-MS/MS Analysis of DNA-Binding Proteins, Anal. Chem., 2004, 76 (18), 5423-5430.
- A Gas Chromatograph/Resonant Electron Capture-TOF Mass Spectrometer for Four Dimensions of Negative Ion Analytical Information, Anal. Chem., 2004, 76 (10), 2951-2957.
- Quantitative Determination of Fluorotelomer Sulfonates in Groundwater by LC MS/MS, Environ. Sci. Technol., 2004, 38 (6), 1828-1835.
- A Resonant Electron Capture Time-of-Flight MS with Trochoidal Electron Monochromator, Anal. Chem., 2003, 75 (13), 3001-3009.