1. If students choose the analytical chemistry sequence CH 421, 422, 461 instead of CH 324, only one inorganic course (3 cr), CH 411, is required. CH 411 and CH 412 are a sequence so that CH 411 is the specified inorganic chemistry course.

2. CH 463 is the recommended WIC course. If CH 462 is taken as the WIC course or an extra lab, CH 422 is strongly recommended as a co-requisite with CH 462.  CH 464 is a WIC course and has a prerequisite of CH 442.

3. SED 416 is no longer offered to undergraduates.  If you did not already take SED 416, the following courses are acceptable substitutes (note some have prereq's): 

TCE 216 Purpose, Structure, and Function of Education in a Democracy (3)
SED 414 Mathematics Materials and Labs (3)
TCE 219 Multicultural Issues in Education (2) (not allowed after Winter 2010)
TCE 253 Learning Across the Lifespan (3)
PSY 350 Human Lifespan Development (3) (prerequisite of PSY 201 & 202)
HDFS 313 Adolescent Development (3)  (This course is required for the Licensure program)

Also see policies

Overview of Chemistry Education Option Courses

The BS chemistry degree with an option in chemistry education requires courses that fall into two primary categories:

1) Two courses taught by the chemistry department - CH 407 - a seminar about teaching techniques (only meets fall term) and - CH 410 - a teaching internship which involves being the "teaching assistant" for a section of general chemistry.  More information can be found at these links: CH 407 Chemistry Teaching Seminar and CH 410 Undergraduate teaching internship

2) Additional courses taught outside the chemistry department.  These include:

  • PSY 202
  • Three courses on teaching methods and materials: SED 412, 413, and one more from list
  • TCE 409 a teaching practicum in which you are an assistant to a teacher in science classes at a local middle school or at a high school.
  • 15 credits of electives courses in a second endorsement area (SEA) which provide background in a science or math endorsement area other than chemistry. (Since most HS science teachers are assigned to teach two or more science courses, one chemistry, and one in another area, it is in your best interest to have some course work in a secondary endorsement area. You should select the SEA electives based on what other area of science or math you want to teach in HS.)

You are also encouraged to seek out a secondary advisor in the Department of Science and Math Education and discuss these options and graduate school opportunities with this advisor.  

Suggested courses that meet the SEA requirements for the chemistry ed option are found on the College of Education department web page at: College of Education Advising sheets

Note also that these 15 credits cannot be ones already specified in the chemistry core. For example, since PH 201 or PH 211 are already required in the chemistry core, they cannot be counted twice for the SEA of Physics. If you select Physics as your SEA, then the physics courses you use to satisfy the SEA must be from courses beyond the general physics sequence. However, if you select Biology as your SEA, then a biology course such as BI 211 can be used for the SEA requirements because BI 211 is not required for the chemistry core. 

Courses in the above table for option courses are considered at the "Pre-professional" level for teaching science.

OSU offers both an Initial Licensure program and a Continuing Program that leads to the MS degree.  See http://education.oregonstate.edu/education-double-degree